Saturday 12 June 2021

Summer Ice creams

One of the effects of a pandemic, is that when you finally do get out, back in a group, you want to stay out, maybe go a little further; but also having not been out sometimes a bit of fitness is lost.  

We are not quite out of Pandemic times, as there is one more unlocking date to go in the Government 'roadmap' (although there may be a delay).  I write this now, for some context when reading back in the future!

So, we had our usual three groups, and the promise of sunny skies.  The morning was quite cloudy but warm (bit of a chill wind mind) but as the day progressed it became better and better.  I know, as I was out in it for what ended up a longer ride than intended.  Partly due to lots of hills, a slower rider than me, two stops and as mentioned increasingly lovely weather.


Helen and Sue led the slower group away first, we are having staggered meet times but there was a bit of overlap as some have not been out since March 2020!

And - Kingsway cafe was open, so maybe next month we can gather for drinks.  We will have to see.

The group amended their cafe destination, as it was planned to be a little further than usual and they instead headed as far as Delamere and the new visitor centre cafe.


Linda and Collette's group, which I joined, were next to leave at 9:45, heading out
to follow the Cheshire Cycleway.  With a few variations.  It ended up being a combination of Linda's planned route and deviations I had in my head, usually involving a track or two.


Alex and Cheryl set off in the faster group, and passed us in Delamere.

A favourite track of mine near Mouldsworth

Delamere Forest



We enjoyed not only a snack and drink at The Ice Cream Farm (Great Budworth) but also an ice cream, it was such a lovely day!  And we had one of the roaming chickens settle in under our table.

Returning back we did not follow the Cheshire Cycleway; instead turning left towards Antrobus, Frandley and Bartington which brought us back again to Action Bridge - from here we followed the River Weaver Path to cross it then under Dutton Viaduct - more of my favourite places.  I love to share these locations with my group (who are very tolerant of my whims) but it does lead to a great route.

Sluice gate

Duddon Locks

Duddon Viaduct



From here we continued up towards Delamere and - to be honest I am writing this in September - I have a photo of  Stonehouse Farm B&B who also do coffees and
cakes; I recall I rather fancied a scone and Collette very kindly stayed out with me.  After this, returning via Manley I also stopped at a farm I have seen advertising burgers, sausages etc and as we were heading home was able to get some - it was only then I realised it was nearly 5pm.  So much for a morning ride lol.

As I say, we have not been out much and it was such a glorious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment